Sunday, February 8, 2009

Instead of homework . . .

Hello my darling English people. You're my favorites. When we graduate, let's all get cardboard boxes in the same alley. 

Life in London sounds loverly! Eat an extra scone for me and give Jane my regards.

SO, for my very first post, I'm not going to talk about life back here in the States, and how Step-Sing is amazing but ruining my health, or how I walked barefoot in the gorgeous seventy-degree sun yesterday, or how if you ask really nicely that Starbucks people will still make you the chocolate banana shake even when they're out of banana and boy, does it taste good. 

Instead. I'm going to write about a really cool book. This book, in fact. 
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
I like this book for Lots of Reasons. Here are three:
1. It is in England. Right after WWII. Be still, my heart. 
2. It is written as a series of letters - wild, wonderful, sad, gorgeous, witty, heartwrenching letters that make me want to rendezvous with some pretty stationery at my desk for a couple of hours. 
3. As you might have guessed from the title - it revolves around books, and the people who love them. Do you have trouble disassociating your identity from your library? If so, you will like this book. 

I was going to rave more about it but I just remembered that it was due two days ago and I still haven't finished it, which I need to do NOW if I am going to get any sleep, and I need sleep to survive Step-Sing, but I MUST read this book because it is beautiful and compelling and yes, now I will shut up and go read. 

You should read it too!

Warm regards,
Anna

1 comment:

Kayla Elise said...

Sounds like a fantastic recommendation! Good luck with Step-Sing!!